Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Lagoona Gets A Dunk!

Why do toy manufacturers do up a doll's hair in so many complicated ways??? Oh, I know, sophisticated hair-dos make beautiful dolls. But what about playdolls? What about dolls designed specifically for 8-12 years old girls to actually play with, handling and styling hair is a major component of regular play! 

(Heavy sigh.) When I got Lagoona Blue of Monster High, her hair was in a giant side ponytail that I (like any little girl) took out immediately!


Unfortunately, it left her with crazy scraggly hair. Also, I don't know if it was just my doll or if it is every doll in the Dot Dead Gorgeous set of dolls, but my doll's hair was rooted much thicker where the ponytail was so the hair didn't fall very evenly!


I really did like the wave on her head, even if it was super crunchy with product, but it was actually sewn down so I knew this wouldn't last very long.


So, I boiled water on the stove again. I poured it into a bowl in my sink again. I let it cool a couple of minutes and then, because I was afraid it would take out the wave if it was too terribly hot, I put a shot of cold water in there. (I really should get a picture next time I do this but you can probably picture a doll with her head in a bowl. Plus, I didn't want to be fussing with the camera and dunk her too long!!!) Then, just like I did with Rochelle, I put her hair in a dishtowel and pressed it between my hands to squeeze out the extra water. After a quick brushing, it looked lovely! Lagoona looks even more like a mermaid than she did before!!!


I was very pleased that I decided to "dunk" her crunchy wave too!


I was worried that the hot water would straighten her curls but it didn't!


When I dunked and cut Rochelle's hair, it dried very quickly. Longer hair always takes longer to dry so all we could do was sit and wait! (But she lounges so beautifully, doesn't she???)


With the drying and extra brushing, it became obvious that those "side bangs" were going to be annoying! It would need clips or be dampened constantly! These are the things the designers just don't think about when they do those fancy "do"s!


I decided to just brush them over to the other side and brush all her hair back!



And a prettier doll you never did see!


I guess the lesson to be learned here is: be daring, be creative! These are PLAY dolls! They are meant to be PLAYED WITH! So, I guess it doesn't matter what the designer was trying to do to make the doll look pretty in the box! These are inexpensive dolls too so it is fun to let yourself go a little without (too much) fear! I would never ever do this to a hundred dollar doll! But these solid, stable little Monster High girls are so much fun to brush and style and pose! I'm looking forward to more of this!!!

"Til next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment